By Laura Friedman
#GivingTuesday 2015, an international day of giving that kicks off the holiday giving season, is just around the corner on December 1st.
Hearing Health Foundation (HHF) wants to thank you for your continued support of our mission and programs, such as the Hearing Restoration Project (HRP) and Emerging Research Grants (ERG). Your support matters and has, and will continue to, enhance the lives of millions of Americans. Here are some of our successes, dating back to our founding in 1958:
- HHF is the largest private funder of hearing research in the U.S.
- HHF funded research has led to:
- The development of cochlear implants
- Treatments for otosclerosis (abnormal bone growth in the ear) and ear infections.
- In 1985, scientists funded through the ERG program discovered that chickens regenerate their inner ear hair cells after damage and mammals do not. This study led to the development of the HRP in 2011.
- In the 1990s HHF advocated for Universal Newborn Hearing Screening legislation, to detect hearing loss at birth.
- Today, 97% of newborns are tested (up from 4% in 1994).
The work doesn't stop there. Your support will continue to impact the course of hearing and balance science and help us find a cure for the 50 million Americans living with hearing loss and tinnitus. The question of finding a cure for hearing loss is not if, but when. Making a financial commitment to HHF is an investment in our future. But we need YOUR help. Here are some ways you can #HearTheHope this holiday season:
- Make a donation to HHF in honor or in memory of someone close to you.
- Post on social media, such as Facebook or Twitter, encouraging your friends to donate to HHF.
- The average person has 300 friends on Facebook which means that if each of your friends donates just $1 on Giving Tuesday, you can raise $300 in one day—it’s that easy!
- Contribute to an item on our Wish List and give our researchers the tools they need.
- You can make gifts of appreciated stocks or a planned gift!
Let your talents and interests lead you to your own fundraiser for HHF through our website! No event is too large or small. Here are some ideas for inspiration:
Host a potluck and invite your guest to join you by bringing a dish and making a donation to HHF.
Hold a bake sale or golf outing and advertise that the proceeds will be donated to HHF.
Burn excess Thanksgiving calories and go for a run, swim (indoors of course!), or bike ride, fundraising for every mile accomplished.
Have other ideas or questions for us? E-mail us at Development@hhf.org.
Any donation you send before December 31st will be instantly doubled thanks to a generous matching gift from one of our supporters with hearing loss — and you will make twice the IMPACT!