WINTER 2018 References
Here are the references for the Winter 2018 issue of Hearing Health magazine.
- NASA. “I Am Building SLS: Renee Horton.”
- NASA. “Hidden Figures to Modern Figures: Students See SLS Rocket at Michoud.”
- Renee Horton, Ph.D.
- Walsh, Kellie M. “Charting Her Own Flight Plan.” Folks, July 18, 2017.
- American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. “What You Should Know About Otosclerosis.”
- Better Hearing Institute. “Prevalence of Hearing Loss.”
- Captain, Sean. “Why Isn’t There A Warby Parker For Hearing Aids?” Fast Company, Oct. 13, 2016.
- Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA). “Basic Facts About Hearing Loss.”
- Hearing Health and Technology Matters. “Consumer Technology Association Unveils New Logo for OTC Hearing Aids at HLAA Convention.” June 27, 2017.
- HLAA. “Over-the-Counter Hearing Aids.”
- Lin, Frank R.,; Niparko, John K.; Ferrucci, Luigi. “Hearing Loss Prevalence in the United States.” Archives of Internal Medicine, Nov. 14, 2011.
- Oehler, Suzanne. “What the Emerging ‘Hearables’ Audio Market Means to Me and Millions.” suzanneoehler.com, Jan. 10, 2017.
- Shargorodsky, Josef; Curhan, Sharon G.; Curhan, Gary C.; et al. “Change in Prevalence of Hearing Loss in U.S. Adolescents.” JAMA, Aug. 18, 2010.
- Burwinkel, Justin R.; Mitchell, William J.; Elghannai, Ezdeen; Galster, Jason A. “Do Wireless Hearing Aids Present a Health Risk?” The Hearing Review, June 6, 2017.
- Einhorn, Richard. “Can Apple AirPods Be Used As Hearing Aids?” The Hearing Review, Sept. 22. 2017.
National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. “Cochlear Implants.”
- Hearing Review. “‘JAMA’ Study Shows Gap Between Reported Hearing Loss and Treatment.” Nov. 25, 2017.
- Hu, Zhengqing, et al. “Expression of Oligodendrocyte Marker During Peripheral-Central Transitional Zone Formation of the Postnatal Mouse Cochlear Nerve.” Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, July 11, 2017.
- Ishiyama, Gail; Lopez, Ivan A.; Ishiyama, Paul; Vinters, Harry V.; Ishiyama, Akira. “The Blood Labyrinthine Barrier in the Human Normal and Ménière’s Disease Macula Utricle.” Scientific Reports, March 21, 2017.
- Kennedy, Alana E.; Kaf, Wafaa A.; Ferraro, John A.; Delgado, Rafael E.; Lichtenhan, Jeffery T. “Human Summating Potential Using Continuous Loop Averaging Deconvolution: Response Amplitudes Vary With Tone Burst Repetition Rate and Duration.” Frontiers in Neuroscience, July 27, 2017.
- Mahboubi, Hossein; Lin, Harrison W.; Bhattacharyya, Neil. “Prevalence, Characteristics, and Treatment Patterns of Hearing Difficulty in the United States.” JAMA Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery, Nov. 22, 2017.
- Ponnath, Abhilash; Depreux, Frederic F.; Jodelka, Francine M.; Rigo, Frank; Farris, Hamilton E.; Hastings, Michelle L.; Lentz, Jennifer J. “Rescue of Outer Hair Cells With Antisense Oligonucleotides in Usher Mice Is Dependent on Age of Treatment.” JARO, Sept. 4, 2017.
- Rapaport, Lisa. “One in Three U.S. Adults With Hearing Problems Don’t Seek Help.” Associated Press, Nov. 28, 2017.
- Scheibinger, Mirko; Ellwanger, Daniel C.; Corrales, C. Eduardo; Stone, Jennifer S.; Heller, Stefan. “Aminoglycoside Damage and Hair Cell Regeneration in the Chicken Utricle.” Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, Nov. 13, 2017
- Blom, Jeanette. “New Ida Seminar Strengthens Focus on the Patient’s Voice.” Ida Institute, Nov. 3, 2017.
- Starfield, Barbara. “Is Patient-Centered Care the Same As Person-Focused Care?” The Permanente Journal, Spring 2011.
- World Health Organization. “What Is People-Centered Care?”
CRISPR gene editing:
- Gao, Xue, et al. “Treatment of Autosomal Dominant Hearing Loss by In Vivo Delivery of Genome Editing Agents.” Nature Letter, Dec. 20, 2017.
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute. "CRISPR Treatment Prevents Hearing Loss in Mice." ScienceDaily, Dec. 20, 2017.
- Netburn, Deborah. “Gene-Editing Breakthrough Found to Minimize Hearing Loss in Mice Could Help Humans.” Los Angeles Times, Dec. 20, 2017.
- Rice University. “Hearing Is Believing in Gene Therapy's Promise.” EurekAlert, Dec. 20, 2017.
- Sheridan, Kate. “Hearing Loss Prevented With CRISPR Gene Therapy in Extraordinary Advancement.” Newsweek, Dec. 20. 2017.
Cognitive hearing aid:
- Evarts, Holly. “Cognitive Hearing Aid Filters Out the Noise.” Columbia University Engineering press release, Aug. 4, 2017.
- Neural Acoustic Processing Lab. ”Neural Decoding of Attentional Selection in Multi-Speaker Environments Without Access to Clean Sources.”
- O'Sullivan, James; Chen, Zhuo; Herrero, Jose; McKhann, Guy M.; Sheth, Sameer A.; Mehta, Ashesh D.; Mesgarani, Nima. “Neural Decoding of Attentional Selection in Multi-Speaker Environments Without Access to Clean Sources.” Journal of Neural Engineering, Aug. 4, 2017.
Auditory training and telehealth:
- Munz, Michele. “Games Created by Washington University Researchers Fight Hearing Loss.” St. Louis Post-Dispatch, June 5, 2017.
- Meyers, Carol. “Telehealth Tools Can Change Your Hearing Care.” Hearing Health Foundation (HHF) blog, May 23, 2017.
- Here One.
- Liu, K.R. “The Doppler Effect: What We Built and the Legacy We Will Leave Behind.” LinkedIn, Nov. 1, 2017.
- Pierce, David. “Inside the Downfall of Doppler Labs.” Wired, Nov. 1, 2017.
- Pierce, David. “Review: Here One Wireless Earbuds.” Wired, Feb. 21, 2017.
- Taylor, Brian. “After Promising Start, Doppler Labs Abruptly Closes.” Hearing Health & Technology Matters, Nov. 1, 2017.
- Reed, Nicholas S.; Betz, Joshua; Kendig, Nicole; Korczak, Margaret; Lin, Frank R. “Personal Sound Amplification Products vs. a Conventional Hearing Aid for Speech Understanding in Noise.” JAMA Research Letter, July 4, 2017.
Stewart, Jessica. “Adjustable Ear Plugs Let You Press the Mute Button on Outside Noise.” My Modern Met, April 24, 2017.
- Redmond, James. “University of Northern Colorado Professors Design ‘Science of Sound’ Exhibit for Arizona Museum.” The Tribune (Greeley, Colorado), Sept. 18, 2017.
- University of Northern Colorado. “Listen Up: Arizona Musical Instrument Museum to Feature UNC Faculty Exhibit.” Aug. 7, 2017.
Apps to help with hearing:
- Everyday Hearing. “70+ Best Hearing Loss and Tinnitus Apps for Your Ears.” Last updated Feb. 11, 2017.
- Clason, Debbie. “The Best Apps for Phone Captioning.” Healthy Hearing, Sept. 7, 2017.
- Sounds of New York City (SONYC).
- New York University. “Imagine the Sounds of Silence.”
- Scott, Gregory. “A Tool to Discover Quieter Restaurants and Voice Concern for Loud Noise.” HHF blog, Oct. 17, 2017.
- Lesser, Wayne. “Wayne Lewis Lesser, Wayne’s World, Wayne’s Words.” HHF blog, April 21, 2016.
- Zewe, Adam. “A Sound Solution.” Harvard University, May 31, 2017.
- Duffie Jr., Warren. “Sound Off! The Navy, Hearing Protection, and Mobile Devices.” Office of Naval Research, Jan. 31, 2017.
Captions and muting:
- Google blog. “Automatic Captions in YouTube.” Nov. 19, 2017.
- Kincaid, Jason. “YouTube Launches Auto-Captions for All Videos.” Techcrunch. March 4, 2010.
- Parr, Ben. “YouTube Launches Auto-Captioning for Videos.” Mashable, March 4, 2010.
- Spangler, Todd. “YouTube Has 1 Billion Videos With Closed-Captioning, but Not All of Them Are Accurate.” Variety, Feb. 16, 2017.
- Tran, Kevin. “Live Video Captions Could Boost Facebook Engagement.” Business Insider, June 8, 2017.
- Lahiri, Supratik; Wieland, Jeffrey. “Making Facebook Live More Accessible With Closed Captions.” Facebook blog, June 6, 2017.
- Potuck, Michael. “Getting Started With Apple’s Clips App.” 9 to 5 Mac, April 7, 2017.
- Miller, Chance. “Tim Cook Calls Accessibility a ‘Core Value of Apple’ as He Sits Down for Trio of Interviews in Honor of GAAD.” 9 to 5 Mac, May 17, 2017.
- Poynter, Rikki. “Coffee and Sit Down With Apple CEO Tim Cook.” YouTube, May 17, 2017.
- Thomas, Laurel. “Software Improves Captioning for Those With Hearing Deficits.” Phys.org/Science X, Oct. 18, 2017.
- Lasecki, Walter S., et al. “Scribe: Deep Integration of Human and Machine Intelligence to Caption Speech in Real Time.” Communication of the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery), September 2017.
- Chacos, Brad. “Google Chrome Will Start Blocking Noisy Autoplay Videos in January.” PCWorld, Sept. 15, 2017.