Winter 2017 References
Here are references for the Winter 2017 issue of Hearing Health magazine.
- Bernstein, Ruth. Blog: CHC Hearing.
- Bouton, Katherine. Blog: Hearing Loss, Hearing Aids, Hearing Help. Author of “Shouting Won't Help” (Picador, February 2014) and “Living Better With Hearing Loss” (Workman, June 2015)
- Eberts, Shari. Blog: Living With Hearing Loss.
- Hannan, Gael. Author of “The Way I Hear It” (FriesenPress, May 2015).
- Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) Employment Toolkit.
- Williams, Nancy. Blog: Grand Piano Passion.
“America's Most Common Workplace Injury Is Hearing Loss,” page 26:
(in order of story)
- Masterson, E.A.; Bushnell, P.T.; Themann, C.L.; Morata, T.C. “Hearing Impairment Among Noise-Exposed Workers—United States, 2003–2012.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, April 22, 2016.
- Department of Labor (DOL). Noise Safety Challenge.
- Buckley, Cara. “Working or Playing Indoors, New Yorkers Face an Unabated Roar.” The New York Times, July 19, 2012.
- Poon, Linda. “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: Fans Risk Hearing Loss.” NPR, February 1, 2014.
- DOL. Noise-Related Rules in Construction. 2016.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Technical Manual.
- OSHA Hearing Conservation Program for Construction Workers. Request for Information and Comment, 2002.
- DOL/OSHA. Hearing Conservation Program for Construction Workers, Spring 2010.
- Rabinowitz, P.M.; Galusha, D.; Dixon‐Ernst, C.; Slade,M.D.; Cullen, M.R. “Do Ambient Noise Exposure Levels Predict Hearing Loss in a Modern Industrial Cohort?” Occupational and Environmental Medicine, January 2007.
- OSHA. Occupational Noise Exposure.
- McTague, Michael F.; Galusha, Deron; Dixon-Ernst, Christine; Kirsche, Sharon R.; Slade, Martin D.; Cullen, Mark R.; Rabinowitz, Peter M. “Impact of Daily Noise Exposure Monitoring on Occupational Noise Exposures in Manufacturing Workers.” International Journal of Audiology, Feb. 4, 2013.
- CDC. Buy Quiet.
- CDC. Power Tools Database.
- Social Security. Disability Evaluation Under Social Security.
- Baguley, David M. “Hyperacusis.” Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, December 2003.
- Cohen, Joyce. “When Even Soft Noises Feel Like a Knife to the Eardrums.” Stat News, Feb. 18, 2016.
- American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. Hyperacusis: An Increased Sensitivity to Everyday Sounds.
“Do You Qualify for Social Security Benefits?” page 29:
(in order of story)
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
- SSA Office Locations
- Apply for SSA Benefits
- Disability Planner: Social Security Protection If You Become Disabled
- Benefits Planner: Social Security Credits
- Supplemental Security Income Home Page
- Understanding Supplemental Security Income SSI for Children
- Blue Book Section 2.10: Hearing Loss Not Treated With Cochlear Implantation
- Blue Book Section 102.10: Hearing Loss Not Treated With Cochlear Implantation
- Hearing in Noise Test (HINT)
- Baizer, Joan S.; Wong, Keit Men; Manohar, Senthilvelan; Hayes, Sarah H.; Ding, Dalian; Dingman, Robert; Salvi, Richard J. “Effects of Acoustic Trauma on the Auditory System of the Rat: The Role of Microglia.” Neuroscience, September 2015.
- Manohar, Senthilvelan; Dahar, Kimberly; Adler, Henry J.; Dalian, Ding; Salvi, Richard. “Noise-Induced Hearing Loss: Neuropathic Pain via Ntrk1 Signaling.” Molecular and Cellular Neuroscience, July 2016.
Zhou, Ning; Pfingst, Bryan E. “Evaluating Multipulse Integration as a Neural-Health Correlate in Human Cochlear-Implant Users: Relationship to Spatial Selectivity.” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, September 2016.
Roux, Isabelle; Wu, Jingjing Sherry; McIntosh, J. Michael; Glowatzki, Elisabeth. "Assessment of the Expression and Role of the α1 nAChR Subunit in Efferent Cholinergic Function During the Development of the Mammalian Cochlea." Journal of Neurophysiology, April 2016.
Lee, Min Young; Kurioka, Takaomi; Nelson, Megan M.; Prieskorn, Diane M.; Swiderski, Donald L.; Takada, Yohei; Beyer, Lisa A.; Raphael, Yehoash. “Viral-Mediated Ntf3 Overexpression Disrupts Innervation and Hearing in Nondeafened Guinea Pig Cochleae.” Molecular Therapy—Methods & Clinical Development, August 2016.