FALL 2017 References
Here are references for the Fall 2017 issue of Hearing Health magazine.
- Clinical Trials, U.S. National Institutes of Health. Tinnitus Retraining Therapy Trial (TRTT).
- Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP).
- Formby, Craig; Scherer, Roberta A. “A Landmark Trial.” Hearing Health, Summer 2012.
- Friedman, Jonathan. “VA and DoD Break Ground on First Integrated Clinic.” U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Nov. 12, 2013.
- Henry, James A. “A Progressive Approach.” Hearing Health, Summer 2013.
- John Thomas Dillard, ResearchGate.
- National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research (NCRAR). “Adult Tinnitus Management Clinical Practice Recommendation.” NCRAR and VA, June 4, 2015.
“Protecting the People Who Protect Us,” page 10:
“A Smart Earplug”:
- Arrington, Yolanda R. “Meet the Scientists Changing the Way Soldiers Hear.” Armed With Science/U.S. Department of Defense News, May 16, 2016.
- Invisio. The U.S. Army’s Tactical Communication and Protective System (TCAPS): Invisio X50.
- Mizokami, Kyle. “The U.S. Army Is Rolling Out Superhuman Hearing to Soldiers.” Popular Mechanics, June 6, 2016.
- Palca, Joe. “Army's Smart Earplug Damps Explosive Noise, But Can Enhance Whispers.” NPR Morning Edition, June 3, 2016.
“Hearing Protection in a Pill?”:
- Beck, Douglas L. “Clinical Trials of D-Methionine: Interview With Kathleen Campbell, Ph.D.” American Academy of Audiology, Sept. 13, 2013.
- Clinical Trials, U.S. National Institutes of Health. “Phase 3 Clinical Trial: D-methionine to Reduce Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL).”
- Kime, Patricia. “A Pill to Prevent Hearing Loss Holds Promise.” Military Times, Sept. 7, 2015.
- Marcus, Amy Dockser. “Army Test Hearing Drug at Rifle Range.” The Wall Street Journal, August 21, 2015.
- People Hearing Better. “The Military Battles Hearing Loss.” April 5, 2016.
- Schweickert, Christine. “Drill Sergeants Test Drug That Saves Hearing.” U.S. Army/Fort Jackson Leader, June 11, 2015.
“Hearing as Part of Overall Health”:
Korpe, Prerana. “Total Exposure Health: An Innovation in Precision Health.” Air Force Medical Service, March 23, 2016.
Levite, J.D. “Air Force Begins Study on Noise Exposures.” Air Force Medical Service, July 22, 2016.
Packer, Lisa. “U.S. Air Force Noise Study Aims to Prevent Hearing Loss.” Healthy Hearing, Nov. 1, 2016.
“An Ounce of Prevention”:
Carlson, Stephen. “We Treat Hearing Loss as An Inevitable Cost Of War. It Shouldn’t Be.” The Washington Post, April 12, 2016.
Health.mil. Defense Occupational and Environmental Health Readiness System—Hearing Conservation.
McIlwain, D. Scott et al. "Heritage of Army Audiology and the Road Ahead: The Army Hearing Program.” American Journal of Public Health, Dec. 2008.
Nelson, J.T. et al. “Hearing Testing in the U.S. Department of Defense: Potential Impact on Veterans Affairs Hearing Loss Disability Awards.” Hearing Research, Oct. 18, 2016.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans Benefits Administration Reports.
“The Navy Investigating NIHL”:
U.S. Navy. Office of Naval Research.
- Assistive Listening Device Locator.
- Association of Late-Deafened Adults (ALDA)
- Consumer Protection Laws (Hearing Aid Trial Periods). HLAA, May 2013.
- Federal Trade Commission. “Consumer Information: Buying a Hearing Aid.”
- “Hearing Aid Buying Guide: Sound Advice.” Consumer Reports, February 2017.
- “Hearing Aid Retailers.” Consumer Reports (subscription required).
- Hearing Health Foundation (HHF).
- Hearing Loop Technology. HLAA.
- Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA).
- Mueller, H. Gustav; Picou, Erin M. “Survey Examines Popularity of Real-Ear Probe-Microphone Measures.” The Hearing Journal, May 2010.
- Schieffer, Kathleen M.; Chuang, Cynthia H.; Connor, James, et al. “Association of Iron Deficiency Anemia With Hearing Loss in U.S. Adults.” JAMA Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery, April 2017.
- Science Daily. “Iron Deficiency Anemia Associated With Hearing Loss.” Dec. 29, 2016.
- Hull, Raymond H.; Kerschen, Stacy R. “The Influence of Cardiovascular Health on Peripheral and Central Auditory Function in Adults: A Research Review.” American Journal of Audiology, June 2010.
- Friedland, D.R.; Cederberg, C.; Tarima, S. “Audiometric Pattern as a Predictor of Cardiovascular Status: Development of a Model for Assessment of Risk.” The Laryngoscope, March 2009.
- Curhan, Sharon, et al. “Body Mass Index, Waist Circumference, Physical Activity, and Risk of Hearing Loss in Women.” American Journal of Medicine, Dec. 2013.
- Nurses Health Study.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Degree of Hearing Loss.
- Lin, Frank R., et al. “Hearing Loss and Cognitive Decline in Older Adults.” JAMA Internal Medicine, Feb. 25, 2013.
- Lin, Frank R., et al. “Association of Hearing Impairment with Brain Volume Changes in Older Adults.” Neuroimage, April 15, 2011.
- Lin, Frank R.; Albert, Marilyn. “Hearing Loss and Dementia—Who’s Listening?” Aging & Mental Health, August 2014.
- Livingston, Gil, et al. “Dementia Prevention, Intervention, and Care.” The Lancet, July 19, 2017.
- Peelle, Jonathan E.; Troiani, Vanessa; Grossman, Murray; Wingfield, Arthur. “Hearing Loss in Older Adults Affects Neural Systems Supporting Speech Comprehension.” Journal of Neuroscience, Aug. 31, 2011.
- Science Daily. “Mild Hearing Loss Linked to Brain Atrophy in Older Adults; Early Intervention Could Prevent Slide Toward Speech Comprehension Difficulties.” Sept. 20, 2011.
- Walsh, Fergus. “Nine Lifestyle Changes Can Reduce Dementia Risk, Study Says.” BBC News, July 20, 2017.
- Li, Chuan-Ming, et al. “Hearing Impairment Associated With Depression in U.S. Adults, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005–2010.” JAMA Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery, April 2014.
- Huang, Chang-Quan; Dong, Bi-Rong; Lu, Zhen-Chan; Yue, Ji-Rong; Liu Qing-Xiu. “Chronic Diseases and Risk for Depression in Old Age: A Meta-Analysis of Published Literature.” Aging Research Reviews, April 2010.
- Monzani, D., et al. “Psychological Profile and Social Behavior of Working Adults With Mild or Moderate Hearing Loss.” Acta Otorhinolaryngologica Italica, April 2008.
- Kochkin, Sergei; Rogin, Carol M. “Quantifying the Obvious: The Impact of Hearing Instruments on Quality of Life: NCOA Survey of Nearly 4,000 People Finds Significant Quality-of-Life Differences Between Users and Non-Users of Hearing Instruments.” The Hearing Review, January 2000.
- Acar, B.; Yurekli, M.F.; Babademez, M.A.; Karabulut, H.; Karasen, R.M. “Effects of Hearing Aids on Cognitive Functions and Depressive Signs in Elderly People.” Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, May 15, 2010.
- Boi, R., et al. “Hearing Loss and Depressive Symptoms in Elderly Patients.” Geriatrics & Gerontology International, July 2012.
- National Institutes of Health News. “Hearing Loss is Common in People with Diabetes.” Press release, June 16, 2008.
- Horikawa, Chika, et al. “Diabetes and Risk of Hearing Impairment in Adults: A Meta-Analysis.” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, April 2010.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Important Facts About Falls.
- Lin, Frank R.; Ferrucci, Luigi. “Hearing Loss and Falls Among Older Adults in the United States.” Archives of Internal Medicine, Feb. 27, 2012.
- Indiana University. “IU Study Finds Testicular Cancer Survivors May Have Hearing Loss After Cisplatin Therapy.” Press release, June 27, 2016.
- Lustig, Lawrence R. “Drug-Induced Ototoxicity.” Merck Manuals, last reviewed January 2017.
- McGwin, Jr., Gerald. “Phosphodiesterase Type 5 Inhibitor Use and Hearing Impairment.” Archives of Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery, May 17, 2010.
- Northern Virginia Resource Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Persons. “Ototoxic Medications.” 2010.
- Paddock, Catharine. “FDA Reports Hearing Loss Linked to Viagra and Other PDE5 Inhibitors.” Medical News Today, Oct. 22, 2007.
- Schweitzer, V.G. “Ototoxicity of Chemotherapeutic Agents.” Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America, Oct. 1993.
- Science Daily. “Hearing Loss from Chemotherapy Underestimated.” Dec. 12, 2005.
- Purdue Engineering. “Detecting Post-Blast Hearing Loss and Brain Injury.” YouTube.com, March 16, 2017.
- Race, Nicholas; Lai, Jesyin; Shi, Riyi; Bartlett, Edward L. “Differences in Post-Injury Auditory System Pathophysiology After Mild Blast and Non-Blast Acute Acoustic Trauma.” Journal of Neurophysiology, Aug. 1, 2017.
- Venere, Emil. “Research Suggests Diagnostic Approach for Veterans Suffering Hearing Impairment and Related Brain Injury From Mild Blast Trauma.” HealthCanal.com, March 17, 2017.
- “Meet the Researcher: Edward L. Bartlett, Ph.D.” Hearing Health, Summer 2012.
Crowson, Matthew Gordon; Hertzano, Ronna; Tucci, Debara L. “Emerging Therapies for Sensorineural Hearing Loss.” Otology & Neurotology, July 2017.
- Kempfle, Judith S.; Turban, Jack L.; Edge, Albert S.B., et al. “Sox2 in the Differentiation of Cochlear Progenitor Cells.” Scientific Reports, March 18, 2016.
- “Meet the Researcher: Judith Kempfle, M.D.” Hearing Health, Fall 2011.
- McCullagh, Elizabeth, et al. “Tonotopic alterations in Inhibitory Input to the Medial Nucleus of the Trapezoid Body in a Mouse Model of Fragile X Syndrome.” The Journal of Comparative Neurology, Aug. 15, 2017.
- “Meet the Researcher: Elizabeth McCullagh, Ph.D." Hearing Health, Fall 2016.
- Radziwon, Kelly, et al. “Salicylate-Induced Hyperacusis in Rats: Dose- and Frequency-Dependent Effects.” Hearing Research, July 2017.
- “Meet the Researcher: Kelly Radziwon, Ph.D.” Hearing Health, Spring 2016.
Robey-Bond, Susan M. et al. “The Usher Syndrome Type IIIB Histidyl-tRNA Synthetase Mutation Confers Temperature Sensitivity.” Biochemistry, June 20, 2017.
- Robinson, Erik. “Study Suggests Serotonin May Worsen Tinnitus.” Oregon Health & Science University News, Aug. 22, 2017.
- ang, Zhengquan; Trussell, Laurence O. “Serotonergic Modulation of Sensory Representation in a Central Multisensory Circuit Is Pathway Specific.” Cell Reports, Aug. 22, 2017.